Thursday 21 June 2012

My first appointment

I had my first appointment this week on Wednesday.  I was a little shocked at how short it was.  I took a urine test and that was it.  Then the doctor asked me a few questions, and made sure I stopped taking any of the pills he prescribed to me the week before for being sick (which I did after my first BFP).  The whole conversation was no longer than 5 minutes.  That's it?!?  Then scheduled me for my next appointment for July 30 for blood work.  July 30?!?! that is almost 6 weeks away!  Is that normal? It seems very far away.

Friends of ours are currently expecting and they gave me contact information for the midwife that have.  I checked her out online, and she has hospital privileges.  Maybe I can get an ultrasound sooner with her?

Okay, so here are my symptoms this week, I think I am around 5 weeks:

  • Still nauseous, not as bad as last week though.  I am eating this week though but not lots.  I managed to gain 2 or 3 pounds back from the 8 that I lost last week when I was sick.  When I get up in the morning I go straight for the crackers, before I do anything.  That helps for a few hours.  But at 3pm so far all week the dizziness and nausea kick in.  Again eating crackers keeps me from vomiting at work.
  • Tired.  After work I am so tired I take a nap when i get home at 5pm.  I also played soccer on Tuesday night 9-10:30 and it killed me. I asked to only play half the game but it took everything I had.  I was so tired the next day and had a headache because of it I think.
  • Sore boobs.  Only realized how sore my boobs were tonight.  I realized that I shouldn't be playing both soccer and baseball each 2 or 3 times a week because my body seems to be having a hard enough time with the pregnancy so I decided not to play baseball anymore.  I play first base and I get balls wiped at me pretty good, and my luck now that I'm pregnant I will miss one and take it in the gut.  So anyways about my boobs, I told my team tonight that I was pregnant and decided not to keep playing, and they all gave me hugs and agreed.  Those hugs hurt!  Thats when I realized how sore my boobs are.  
  • Cramping on and off.
  • Back is sore. 
So now that I am officially a few days late, I find myself going to the bathroom more just to make sure. Usually, around day 29 of my cycle I would never wear light coloured pants to work or outside because AF would show with no warning and very strong.  I would also wear a panti liner around those days as well just in case.  Well... today I wore light beige capris to work today, and boy was I nervous.  And of course AF did not show, so I was happy.

Next thing to look forward to is the heartbeat, hopefully the next few weeks go by fast.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds normal for a low risk pregnancy (since its the safe zone).
    I think you need a new gp though. Only 5 mins is awfully rushed. Hope you got to ask everything you wanted! The midwife definitely sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our OB likes the schedule the first US between 8-10weeks. That way you're early enough to get an accurate EDD but baby is developed enough to hear/ see/ measure the heartbeat. My first was when I should've been 7wks 6days but turned out I was only 6wks 3days.

    Hope all continues to go well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah there really isn't much to do this early. If you go to a GP they will literally just check you aren't doing anything that will harm the pregnancy and check that you are pregnant. Some are happy with pee tests and some do bloods. Then it is a waiting game to make sure the pregnancy sticks.

    As Sam says, they don't generally ultrasound before six weeks because there is literally nothing to see. At six weeks there is a good chance of finding a heartbeat but a lot will of OBs will delay further to make sure there is definitely something there. My guy likes to schedule at about seven weeks. :-)

    You'll only be about 4w2d because you've ovulated late. The whole EDD of last period only works for a perfect 27 day cycle when you ovulate on time. Another reason why they wait a while too...gets around turning up too early inadvertantly.

    The first few weeks are the hardest and there is the least intervention. I've got another two weeks and two days before I get my first U/S. Seems like an eternity at times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the midwife and family doctor who I booked appointments with first tried to schedule me for July 30 too. Luckily I'll be out of the country then so they had to move it forward to July 18 and July 23 :) On the bright side it's closer to 5 weeks but it does feel like time has dramatically slowed down recently. I have another 4.5 weeks to wait and it feels like forever.

    I think it's a good idea that you are listening to your body and slowing down with all the sports. Generally I have heard that if you were doing it before you were pregnant, it's ok to continue, but my doctor also told me that after 8 weeks you want to avoid any blows to the gut! If you are tired you also probably want to take it easy... you are growing a person in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be super careful playing your sports, I would be a alittle cautious about the soccer ball hitting your tummy area or you slipping and falling, this is the "danger" zone in pregnancy, until your second trimester which is 14 weeks. I just don't want you to get hurt! :) Your first appt did seem to be a little shorter, but maybe they are waiting until you get further along until they go into more details? I'd start making a list of questions to ask your OB or Midwife for your next visit! So how are things going for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for your next update!!!

    ReplyDelete