Saturday 16 February 2013

38 Weeks

Today we are 38 weeks 2 days, and still no sign of baby Mason making an appearance.  We had another ultrasound last week and he is still breech with little chance of flipping.  We are scheduled for a c-section on February 28, which would be 40 weeks exactly.  The OB that we met for the surgery is away on holidays this week so we had to get moved to next week.  The hospital here will not deliver a breech baby naturally here, which is fine by me.  I have read about the risks and am totally fine with having a c-section now.  Yes, I am still quite nervous and scared about the whole procedure, but I know it`s best for our son.

My midwife told us that as soon as my water breaks or contractions start we are to call her and go straight to the hospital for a last minute c-section.  The problem with that is I am scared that I will miss the beginning signs of true labour contractions since I have been having so many braxton hicks contractions that last few months.  I am constantly reading chats online and googling to see what the difference is, but everyone is different.  I want to be able to notice a true contraction as soon as it happens to eliminate going into active labour and having to have an emergency c-section.  We had our first, oh crap I think my water broke moment last Sunday (37 weeks, 3 days).  On Saturday morning, we were planning on going out of town for the day to get the last of the baby stuff, well when I woke up I was so uncomfortable.  It kind of felt like period cramps, but only on the sides of my belly.  I was quite uncomfortable for the next few hours.  I had a hot bath then went to bed for a nap.  Felt better later that day.  The next morning, I woke up middle of the night (3am) to a large gush of water.  I went to the bathroom thinking that I peed the bed.  Which is not normal for me as I am such a light sleeper, and don`t really sleep at night any more.  When I went back to the bedroom, I woke my husband up and I noticed that there was quite a lot of fluid on the bed.  Our sheets are white and the water puddle (about the size of 2 big hand prints) was clear, not yellow.  Since this is our first, we both have no idea what to expect.  Midwife did tell us that with breech babies, your water is likely to break before you get contractions.  I was too embarrassed to call the midwife as it was the middle of the night and it really could be pee but I started to doubt myself and started to get a little scared.  We called Labour and Delivery at the hospital, and because he is breech and we are having a c-section the nurse told me to come right in and they can check me to make sure what it was.  So we went in, and was hooked up the the Non stress test for about an hour, heartrates were good.  The on call OB came in and checked to see if my water had broke.  Which by the way, was the most painful thing ever!  He confirmed water did not break.  But he did reassure us that it is totally fine to come in and get checked out.  As well if it happens again or any contractions to come right back.  That made me feel a little better and a little less embarrassed.

At my midwife appointment this week (after the false water break) I mentioned the whole thing to her and she was upset that we did not call her, nor did the nurses at the hospital.  She then said that if she was there, she would have suggested having the c-section that day due to the pressure that I had been having.  In my head I was thinking:  What! you mean he could be here now if I called you ??? lol  I am at the point now that I am over being pregnant, I am so uncomfortable all the time, I cant sleep at night, I just want my son here.  My mom is coming to stay with us for a few weeks and will be here tomorrow, so she wants me to wait until at least tomorrow.

Yesterday, I did some shovelling thinking that maybe that would get things going.  I know, I know, risky to do it, but I am ready for him to come out now.  Well, it didn`t work.  Just made my back sore.  So starting Monday morning, I am going to start taking long walks throughout the day.  Living in northern Ontario, the weather here is cold and lots of snow.  It never stops.  It makes walking difficult sometimes, so I have been a couch potato for a month now.  But that will change starting Monday, and hopefully that will help things move along.

So I have been off work now for a week, and boy am I bored!  I just sit on the couch eat, and try to take naps.  I need to find a hobby.  It is nice to be home and spend some time with my husband before the baby comes but the days go by so slowly.

So I guess that`s all my updates for the past few weeks.  I can`t wait to do a post about the birth of our son.

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness girl! You are so close! I cant wait to be in your shoes! I think it will happen soon for you! Good luck with everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a c-section with my first and while recovery was hard, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - although the difference between a c-section and my vbac was amazing and I wouldn't willingly go in for a c-section unless I had tried everything I could. Have you looked at spinningbabies.com or talked to your midwife about trying a version to get the baby to turn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try a few exercises to help flip him, but never work. Also the OB said that because of where the placenta ( i think that`s it) is located around his head, that trying to turn him may cause internal bleeding. So I agreed that I did not want to try anything to turn him.

      Delete